Heart to Heart - Block One

Friday, July 24, 2009

Ryan's mom, sister, and I decided we needed a fun little project to do together, so this is what we picked:

The pattern is called Heart to Heart and it is from American Patchwork and Quilting Magazine, the February 2008 issue. Cute huh? The designer uses a method called Appliquilt to stitch all three layers of fabric together at one time. However, we decided to do a more traditional method of applique, especially since we all plan to have them professionally machine quilted at the end.

It took me a long time to get this first block done, partly because I was working on my watermelon quilt (which is at the quilters right now) and partly because all of the applique had me a little scared. I started doing it with the needle turn method like the pattern suggested, but could quickly tell that was not my forte. So - back to the freezer paper method I went. I like Jill Finley's method of freezer paper applique. She is a local pattern designer and her company is called Jillily Studio. Click on the link to watch a wonderful demonstration video. She explains exactly how to do everything and makes it look so easy! (At the beginning of the video she talks about her product called Appli-Glue but then it gets into how to prepare the actual applique pieces.) Anyways, I actually ended up really enjoying the appliqueing after I got all of the pieces prepared. Here's my first block:


If you want to join in on this fun project, get your pattern and get appliqueing! Check back with me periodically - I would love to see pictures of your blocks.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I am so amazed, this is all very overwhelming to me. I can barely get my seams straight on block quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE! I would not have the patience for applique, but I certainly admire it!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment. I read each one and try to respond as often as I can. Thanks so much for stopping by! ~Amber