Feelin' Figgy

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

You know I'm a big fan of Fig Tree fabrics, right?  Joanna's fabrics just sing to me.  Her colors are soft, her prints are gorgeous.  Everything Fig Tree just says "PRETTY".  Well, I'm really having a lot of fun playing with my Fig Tree stash on this BOM quilt that my quilt guild is doing this year.  This is what mine looks like so far~


The pattern is by Jina Barney (a local quilt designer here in Utah for Riley Blake Designs - you may have heard of them?)  You can click here for the instructions if you want to tag along on this project.  The pattern is free and the blocks correspond with each month of the year.  For pictures of the finished quilt, check out Freda's Hive (a wonderful blog.) 

I had so much fun making the baskets! 




They basket handles were so simple because of this wonderful little tool -


I used the 3/8" Clover USA Bias Tape Maker.  I have to admit that I was kind of intimidated by this little tool up until last week.  But after whipping out the handles in a matter of minutes, I was ecstatic!  They were a cinch to make, accurate and fast.  I also enjoyed the hand-work that I could take a long with me wherever I went.  It was a nice change of pace.

Anyways, like I said, I'm having fun doing this project.  Partly because of the cute pattern and the gorgeous fabrics but mainly because I'm doing it with my mom.  I'm sharing my stash with her so that we can have some fun bonding time.  I'm so glad we share a love of sewing & crafting together (Hi Mom!)   

One last thing ~ I got a fun little package in the mail yesterday from the generous gals at Moda.  A Layer Cake in Fig Tree form.  Fresh Cottons to be exact.  It's beautiful.  Really beautiful.  


Like I said, that Joanna is amazing.  I hope I can do these fabrics justice.

14 comments:

  1. I just love your quilt...the colors and especially the baskets..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work Amber, i love that you and your Mom are working on this one together. Lovely layer cake it may just ruin my dinner;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a Pretty Quilt...the Baskets are so Cute..TFS.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the links to the pattern! Your quilt looks wonderful. I am going to buy one of those bias tape makers finally--sick of burning my fingers at the iron! Sharonj.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your quilt...I love Fig Tree fabrics too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quilt. I love the baskets and that fabric is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, those fabrics are yummy, and your baskets are perfect done up in them! Your bias handles are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, Amber--I love that (1) you're sharing your stash with me; and (2)that we're doing this together. I love working with you and learning from you!
    And I can hardly wait to see what you're doing with the new Moda fabrics. You're awesome! I am enjoying seeing your mind and hands busy at creating.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the baskets. I have been hesitant to try the bias maker too, now I will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very Pretty blocks, love your fabric choices/ colors and the baskets are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those fabrics are really gorgeous and your BOM is so much fun. It was fun to hear that you're doing the BOM with your mom. I love to quilt with my mom too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing the link I'm excited to get sewing! your blog has been an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the BOM! Have fun with the Fresh Cottons,

    Joanna
    Fig Tree

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment. I read each one and try to respond as often as I can. Thanks so much for stopping by! ~Amber